A journalist was assaulted in Shariatpur today (23 August), allegedly after protesting the overnight demolition of three sections of the district press club’s boundary wall.
B M Israfil, Shariatpur correspondent of Somoy TV, suffered a fracture to his right wrist and injuries to several parts of his body. He is undergoing treatment at Shariatpur Sadar Hospital.
Israfil alleged that 8–10 people led by Palash Sardar, son of Shariatpur Press Club President and BNP district vice-president Abul Hossain Sardar, attacked him at the press club premises in the Aminbagh area of Shariatpur town this morning.
Palash’s comment could not be obtained. He reportedly went into hiding after the incident.
Journalists said three sections of the press club’s boundary wall were demolished last night as part of an initiative by the district administration.
Israfil protested the demolition in a Facebook post featuring photographs of the press club president and Deputy Commissioner Tahsina Begum. He alleged that the attack was carried out over the post.
According to journalists present at the scene, Israfil went to the press club this morning with several colleagues. Shortly afterwards, Palash arrived with 8–10 people and allegedly assaulted him.
Shariatpur Sadar Hospital Superintendent Akram Elahi said Israfil had suffered a fractured right wrist, along with injuries to his forehead, ribs and knee.
Abul Hossain Sardar said Palash and his followers were angry over criticism of him on Facebook.
“I did not know that journalist Israfil would be attacked. I am also embarrassed by the incident. I will take the initiative to have my son face justice,” he said.
Meanwhile, journalists said the district administration allocated 14 decimals of land to the press club in 1998, where a one-storey building is currently under construction.
A park was built beside the press club land in 2023. Journalists alleged that the administration recently sought to use the press club land to beautify the park.
Deputy Commissioner Tahsina Begum said the land was vested property and permanent infrastructure could not be built there.
She said the administration was working to allocate alternative land to journalists and had informed the press club president before demolishing the boundary wall.
“As the journalists do not want to leave the land, the boundary wall will be rebuilt as it was before,” she said.
Following the incident, journalists held a protest rally and human chain in front of the deputy commissioner’s office on Sunday afternoon, demanding action over the assault and demolition.
Palong Model Police Station OC Shah Alam said police had been sent to the scene after learning of the assault.
“No written complaint has been received. A case will be filed if a complaint is submitted,” he said.
