Families wait anxiously as repatriation formalities near completion.
Onlookers and firefighters gather at the site following a fire at a hotel in Kolkata, India, 19 August 2026. Photo: Collected
“>
Onlookers and firefighters gather at the site following a fire at a hotel in Kolkata, India, 19 August 2026. Photo: Collected
The bodies of six of the seven Bangladeshis killed in a devastating fire at Shikha Inn on Kolkata’s Mirza Ghalib Street are expected to be brought back to Bangladesh today (22 August), leaving grieving families waiting anxiously to receive their loved ones.
However, one of the seven victims, Rebati Sarkar, is expected to be cremated in India following a request from her family.
Among the seven Bangladeshi victims are Kushtia journalist Debashish Dutta, 40, his wife Afsana Sharmin, 25, their three-year-old son Swarnashish Dutta, and Afsana’s father Mohammad Akram Ali, 64.
The other victims are Ahmed Babu from Begunbari in Aminbazar, Savar, Dhaka; Alimuzzaman Saju from Kaliganj upazila in Satkhira; and Rebati Sarkar.
Kanchan Sarkar, who is currently in Kolkata to receive the bodies, told The Business Standard yesterday (21 August) evening that five bodies had already been loaded onto vehicles from the morgue, while preparations were under way to collect the sixth.
“Once all six bodies are loaded, we will go to the embassy to complete the paperwork. After that, we will leave for the Benapole border with the six bodies,” he said.
He also said that Rebati Sarkar’s body was expected to remain in India for the final rites.
The bodies of the six victims are being repatriated through border crossings as the Bangladesh mission completes the required legal and administrative formalities. Five are expected to return through Benapole, while another victim’s remains will be brought through the Bhomra border in Satkhira.
Families wait in Kushtia
The fire broke out at the hotel in the early hours of Wednesday, killing nine people, including seven Bangladeshis. The blaze occurred at a five-storey building on Mirza Ghalib Street in central Kolkata.
In Aruapara of Kushtia town, the homes of the four members of Debashish’s family have been filled with grief and uncertainty.
Family members said they had expected the bodies to be handed over after the necessary legal procedures in India were completed. They had also made preparations to bring the remains to Kushtia on Friday night.
The family had planned to cremate Debashish and his son at Kushtia’s Mohashmashan, while Afsana and her father would be buried according to Muslim rites.
However, the handover was delayed over clearance formalities until late Friday evening.
Debashish’s colleague Sourav Hossain said they had been waiting throughout the day with two ambulances to receive the bodies at Benapole.
“We were ready with two ambulances throughout the day. We will receive the bodies at Benapole after they are released from India. But the bodies had not been
handed over until evening. We hope they will be released on Saturday morning,” he said.
Debashish’s brother-in-law Mithu said the family was trying to complete the handover at night and bring the bodies home, although it was still uncertain whether that would be possible.
Daughter waits for parents and brother
Debashish’s young daughter Mahima survived the tragedy because she had remained in Bangladesh.
She is now facing the loss of her parents and younger brother, although relatives say she is still too young to fully understand what has happened.
The family says she continues to look at photographs of her parents and wait for their return.
Relatives said they had spoken to their loved ones only a few days before the tragedy.
For the families waiting for the bodies, every passing moment has become increasingly difficult.
The return of the bodies may end the uncertainty, but the loss of their loved ones has left a void that cannot be filled.
