Representational image. Photo: Collected
“>
Representational image. Photo: Collected
A woman accused of killing Saudi expatriate Mokarram Mia in Dhaka’s Manda area and dismembering his body into eight pieces has given a confessional statement before a court.
The accused, Taslima Begum alias Hasna, described by investigators as the victim’s extramarital partner, gave the statement yesterday (21 May). Another suspect, Abdul Matin Dewan, alias AR Dewan, was sent to jail.
Investigating officer SI Enamul Haque Mithu of Mugda Police Station produced both accused before the court and sought to record Hasna’s voluntary confession and keep Matin in custody.
Following the plea, Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Dilruba Afroz Tithi recorded Hasna’s statement and ordered her to be sent to jail. Metropolitan Magistrate Raju Ahmed also ordered Abdul Matin to be sent to jail, confirmed Assistant Sub-Inspector Moniruzzaman of the Dhaka Metropolitan Prosecution Division.
Police had arrested Hasna from Narsingdi and Abdul Matin from the Shanir Akhra area of Jatrabari on 20 May.
The victim, 38-year-old Mokarram Mia of Talshahar in Brahmanbaria’s Ashuganj upazila, was identified after several pieces of a body were recovered from Manda in Mugda on Sunday (17 May).
Earlier, on 19 May, Hasna’s friend Helena Begum gave a confessional statement before the court. Helena’s teenage daughter, Halima Akter, was sent to the Konabari Kishori Unnayan Centre in Gazipur as she is a minor.
At a press briefing on 18 May, Rapid Action Battalion said Mokarram had been involved in a relationship with Taslima Akter, the wife of another expatriate from Brahmanbaria.
According to investigators, Mokarram arrived in Dhaka from Saudi Arabia on 13 May and went directly to a rented flat in Manda belonging to Helena Begum, a friend of Taslima. Helena lived there with her 13-year-old daughter. Taslima also travelled from Brahmanbaria to the flat that day after learning of Mokarram’s arrival.
RAB said the pair had financial dealings during the relationship and had recorded “objectionable” photos and videos. Discussions over marriage reportedly took place at the Manda flat, but when Taslima refused to marry him, Mokarram allegedly demanded the return of Tk5 lakh he had given her and threatened to release the photos and videos.
Helena also alleged that Mokarram had attempted to rape her daughter. Investigators said Taslima and Helena then planned the killing.
On the morning of 14 May, they allegedly mixed sleeping pills into Mokarram’s food. They first attempted to suffocate him with a pillow, but as he was still partially conscious, a struggle broke out. Investigators said the accused later used a hammer and a sharp cutting tool to ensure his death.
The body was then taken to the bathroom and cut into eight pieces. The remains were packed in polythene bags and sacks and dumped at a nearby garbage site during the night, while the head was discarded separately in another location.
According to investigators, the accused tried to behave normally after the killing, even arranging food and gatherings on the rooftop of the building to avoid suspicion.
Two days later, locals called the national emergency service 999 after foul smells began spreading from the remains. Police recovered the body parts and later confirmed the victim’s identity through fingerprints.
Police subsequently arrested Helena and her daughter and recovered the victim’s severed head.
Mokarram’s uncle, Rafiqul Islam, filed a case with Mugda Police Station on Monday (18 May). Following the case, police and RAB arrested the mother and daughter from the Manda area.
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
